A few days ago I read an essay by Dr. Helen Smith on Puffington Host. It was titles “8 Reasons Straight Men Don’t Want To Get Married” and was followed by a “clarification”:
From author Helen Smith: “I talked only with heterosexual men about marriage for the book. It did not include same-sex marriages. However the dynamics of same -sex marriage would be a fascinating study for future research.” — HuffPost Eds.
Good thing PuffHo gave Dr. Helen a chance to explain herself.
The federal government should finance a study or two to figure out why gay men don’t want to marry.
According to the Pew poll Dr. Helen cites, 37% of women of childbearing age say that marriage is important, but only 29% of men in that age cohort express the same opinion. The 8% gap probably* represents a problem to women seeking fulfillment in family life. On the other hand, if only 2%
of gays and lesbians are known to wed, these family-minded queers can date their fellow 2%-ers. Problem solved. If there ever was a problem. Because queers can’t mate with each other (d’oh!) and so rarely adopt other people’s children, the future of next generation is not at stake, and there is no compelling reason why society should insert itself into the legal status of their relationships.
San Francisco City Hall was practically mobbed by “dozens”
of same sex couples rushing to get married the day after Prop 8 was no more. All that pent up demand… All right, all right, it was during the Pride weekend, so everyone was busy partying. This year’s San Francisco’s Gay Pride parade boasted record attendance — 1.5 million
, or 50% more than 2012. So, of course, there were plenty of parties to go.
This blog predicts that queer matrimony is going to be statistically negligible, and because it’s so unusual — even though it will be right front and center in the media — gay marriage is not going to influence the lives of American families. But, hey, LGBT activists got an affirmation. Woo-hooo! And the legal and social status of polygamy
is something to watch.
San Francisco City Hall lit up in gay pride colors in celebration of the SCOTUS ruling (or merely for the gay pride parade). Wouldn’t it be especially meaningful to get married on Pride week and immediately after Prop 8 was overturned? Or am I thinking like a straight woman?
On the subject of married life, parenting is kicking my behind right now, which is why I haven’t been blogging much. DH, who toured the US and Europe prior to starting family, recently had an “embarrassingly Freudian” dream in which midgets were committing identity theft against him. In his waken hours he says that he doesn’t want to play rock-n-roll anymore.
Speaking of rock-n-roll, does George Zimmerman hate whitie? After all, he said “Effing punks!”
in reference to the intruder, and something like 95% of Punks are Caucasian. The other 5% are white Hispanics, but never mind. A ska song from San Francisco circa 1980 offers some deep thoughts on that subject:
And speaking of Hispanics, the other morning I heard on Armstrong and Getti
that until in an unprecedented display of common sense SCOTUS ruled the whole thing unconstitutional, Monterey, CA
was covered under Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act. Monterey, really? “Community activists” are not happy, of course; they must be preparing for amnesty. We go to Monterey every summer
, and I find the two-tier English/Spanish California social structure is especially pronounced there. Go to a fancy restaurant or a hotel on Cannery Row and see elegant young white servers raking in tips. Go to Monterey Aquarium and see signs in our two languages and all sorts of people from all over the world — but no Hispanics. Perhaps they go there on a free for locals day, because there is certainly no shortage of middle age Mexicans in Monterey; they are taking orders in Denny’s.
And to go back to gay marriage, did you know that the majority of gays raising children are not wealthy white urbanites we see on TV, but Hispanics
? LGBT movement needs amnesty more than anyone else in this country.
…The title of this post should really be referencing the very great and very gay (not obviously so to kids) original film and not the very gay (in a different sense) remake.
* Surveys are just surveys. People don’t admit what they really feel, and perhaps the don’t know how they feel. Even those men who are adamant about avoiding the nuptials might find themselves at the altar, under the huppah, or in a City Hall. If men marry at all, it’s because that’s what their women want from them.